Broad Arrow Group – The Broad Arrow Group announced the “Passion for the Drive: The Cars of Jim Taylor” auction, taking place October 14-15 in Gloversville, located a short distance from Albany, New York. The offering represents one of the finest assemblages of European, British and American sports and vintage cars including an impressive selection of Allard, Alvis, Aston Martin, Bentley, Bugatti, Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Cunningham, Dodge, Ferrari, Ford, Jaguar, Land Rover, Maserati, Mercedes-Benz, and Shelby motor cars. Perhaps even more impressively is just how many of Mr. Taylor’s cars have been rallied and shown at events around the world.
Speaking about his lifelong passion for vintage cars Jim Taylor says, “I have had the distinct pleasure of enjoying vintage cars for the better part of my entire adult life. Vintage cars and the lifestyle surrounding the classic car hobby have been a tremendous source of joy and pleasure for me, whether vintage racing on the historic Mille Miglia or competing on the show fields of the Amelia Island or Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance. Each experience, usually marked with a different car and like-minded participants, has been nothing short of exceptional.” Taylor continues, “Over the years, I have tried to support the hobby as generously as possible whether by hosting charitable events at the garage or through my philanthropic support of numerous automotive museums, including the Saratoga Automobile Museum. Sharing this hobby with others is what keeps the passion alive for future generations and I hope that in the sale of my cars and memorabilia we will continue to help foster that love and passion in and among generations of enthusiasts to come.”
The incomparable highlight of the offering, however, is the 1955 Jaguar D-Type Sports Racer. Mr. Taylor’s car, XKD 515, is considered by marque specialists to be one of the most original examples extant and owes its authenticity to the fact that it was largely spared from competitive racing when new and instead was used primarily as a road car. As the 15th of the 42 examples originally built and having had the benefit of a pampered life, the Taylor D-Type remains one of the finest pedigreed cars of the breed. Simply put, it is one of the best, no-excuses Jaguar D-Types on the planet.
As a lifelong enthusiast, Mr. Taylor has amassed a remarkable grouping of cars running the full spectrum of desirability, condition, and provenance. The offering includes an impressive amount of very well-preserved, low mileage cars, perhaps best highlighted by the three-owner, time-warp 1964 Shelby 289 Cobra, a car very well-known in Shelby American circles on account of its peerless originality and notable provenance. The all original 1964 Shelby 289 Cobra is balanced within the offering by the outstanding 1967 Shelby 427 Cobra, which is also a three-owner car with less than 8,000 miles from new and is beautifully finished in Guardsmen Blue. The 427 was the recipient of a thorough restoration, preserving much of its originality while simultaneously setting it up for long distance touring.
Two cars that Mr. Taylor had the pleasure of showing at the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance each offer different windows into the experience. The 1937 Horch Model 853A Cabriolet A is without a doubt one of the best unrestored Horch motor cars in existence and, as a result of its originality, it was honored with a class award in the Preservation Class at the prestigious concours. Juxtaposed against the same backdrop, the 1954 Cunningham C-3, a beautiful fully restored two-place Vignale coachbuilt coupe, also delivered Mr. Taylor a class award at Pebble Beach. Notably, the Cunningham was also a Best-in-Class award at the Amelia Island Concours.
Additional Highlights Include:
- 1961 Mercedes-Benz 300SL Roadster – a numbers matching example complete with original factory hardtop, Becker Shortwave radio, seatbelts, fitted luggage and Nardi steering wheel
- 1952 Allard J2X – formerly the property of M.H. “Tiny” Gould and Kirk F. White, one of approximately 77 original cars built and in well-restored overall condition
- A pair of Heritage Edition Ford GTs including the original 2005 example showing less than five miles from new and a 2020 example with just under 1,000 miles from new
- The Jaguar segment is a sight to behold and encompasses more than 20 different models ranging from a beautiful SS100, Alloy XK 120, 140s, 150s and up through a plethora of E-Types and XJs.
- Impressively Jim Taylor assembled four Shelby Hertz “Rent-A-Racers”, all of which are factory built, manual transmission cars including; a 1966 GT 350 H Fastback, one of the 85 original four-speed manual cars; a 2006 GT-H Fastback “Executive Car” (one of only four built with a manual transmission); a 2007 GT-H Convertible, one of just 17 “Executive Cars” built with a manual transmission; lastly, a 2016 GT-H, one of just 16 “Executive Cars” equipped with a six-speed manual transmission, which has a supercharged, 670-horsepower V-8 engine
Further details regarding the Passion for the Drive: The Cars of Jim Taylor and the upcoming auction can be found on the company website at www.broadarrowauctions.com.
About Broad Arrow Group
Broad Arrow Group and its subsidiaries, Broad Arrow Auctions, Broad Arrow Capital, and Collectors Garage represent the collective vision of its founders, team members, and partners — to be the best advisor, marketplace, and financier for car collectors, with integrity, trust, and innovation. Broad Arrow Group is a holding company, founded in 2021 and headquartered near Detroit, Michigan, to develop and operate a portfolio of businesses and brands that address the needs of various segments of the collector car market and to transform the collector car industry. Learn more at www.broadarrowgroup.com.
If you like stories like these and other classic car features, check out Old Cars magazine. CLICK HERE to subscribe.
Want a taste of Old Cars magazine first? Sign up for our weekly e-newsletter and get a FREE complimentary digital issue download of our print magazine.
*As an Amazon Associate, Old Cars earns from qualifying purchases.